ma vie en vert

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Sweet JEEBUS

I'm done!

Actually, I've been done since Friday, but I've just been too lazy or preoccupied to post anything. And, I already got my grades. Yay for quick grade posting! It feels great to have a Master's degree, but now that I've decided to apply to PhD programs I'm all preoccupied with that silliness. (Yes, after much wishywashiness, I decided this semester that I want to continue doing the work I'm doing and I'd like to teach at the college level, and stuff like that. Plus, what else am I going to do with a Master's in film studies?) So I've begun researching other programs in places where Michael and I would both want to live and where he could find a job. Of course, I'd like to stay at Pitt, but that's not guaranteed. I wanted to take a few days off and do nothing, but that doesn't seem to be happening. But I have enjoyed a few drinks here and there (try the "Purple Haze" at Fuel & Fuddle if you get the chance -- very nice summer ale with a touch of lavender, methinks).

Oh, and I have to find a job, tout de suite. But Pittsburgh is a SMALL town (or at least all the academic/liberal-types must be connected to each other somehow), because a professor of mine put me in touch with a former student of his who's leaving a job (to go to law school!) and needs to find her replacement at a certain nonprofit law-type place where a certain female lawyer works whom the frightenedmonkey loves. So, if that makes any sense at all without naming names, we'll see what happens with that and hopefully I'll have a job. But it wouldn't start until July, so I'll probably have to do some temp work or something until then.

That is all. This is not a very exciting post.

4 Comments:

  • At 5/11/2006 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    congratulations! Phd programs!?!!? awesome. where are you looking....

    i think you should write movie scripts.

     
  • At 5/11/2006 5:59 PM, Blogger stephie said…

    Well, it's a year off, so maybe during that time I'll write a kickass screenplay...

    I'm looking at Pitt, Rochester, Wisconsin -- Madison, NYU, UCLA, USC, UCSB, UC Irvine, Michigan... and a few others. Trying to narrow the list down to places where Michael can find a job or clerkship. It's going to be difficult for him to do a job search in a bunch of different places. Are you still planning to apply to MFA programs and/or move to LA anytime soon???

     
  • At 5/12/2006 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    cool. I think you should go to LA. can you do an adaptation?

    i am not doing an MFA for at least 5 more years. I just got a Sr. Interactive Producer position with Corbis. It's 1.5 miles from home and .4 miles from my studio. I plan on doing a lot of art work over the next 5 years and then re-evaluate.

     
  • At 5/16/2006 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sent you an email. my friend is the director of creative writing at the Interlochen summer academy (Interlochen MI). She is looking for teachers to instruct AP high schoolers in creative writing.

    She says it is really cool and creative environment with lots of MA and MFA types teaching really creative and talented kids. You can either teach 3 week or 6 week sessions.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home