Finally
got around to seeing Pedro Almodovar's All About My Mother (Todo sobre mi madre). Amazing.
That is all. Oh, one more thing: I really wish I could speak Spanish.
That is all. Oh, one more thing: I really wish I could speak Spanish.


5 Comments:
At 4/05/2006 2:31 PM,
Anonymous said…
love Almodovar, but I feared he was getting a tad superflous with All About My Mother. I thought talk to her was better and Bad Education brought me back to 'Loving' not just 'Liking' him. Looking forward to seeing 'Volver', though Rick has trained me to be annoyed with Ms. Cruz. Always great cinemtography (colors and sets are amazing) and thankful for his characters too. Fellini meets Waters -- maybe?!?!?! He is a Libra; so he can't help but perfectly symthesize the edginess of life while never escaping a heightened aesthetic sensibility that gives everything he creates a sublime charm.
p.s. your rigt navbar is not aligning at the top of the page. ;o)
At 4/05/2006 6:03 PM,
stephie said…
I really liked All About My Mother, mainly for the performances within performances within performances aspect, the community of "women" and the maternal being embodied in different ways -- basically representing more fluid kinds of relationships/ways of being -- and the use of other films within the film. And I'm sure it helps that I'm reading a really interesting book for my Sex & Representation class called Forms of Being which centers on Contempt, All About My Mother, and The Thin Red Line in its attempt to imagine new types of relationships subjectivities in film. I don't know if that makes sense, but it's a very interesting book.
And my blog seems to look OK in Camino and Firefox, but looks fucked up in ie and Safari. Must be a blogger issue.
At 4/05/2006 9:25 PM,
Anonymous said…
it was definitely good... sans the drag queen monologue/question and answer session at the end. What is your take on that?
At 4/05/2006 10:33 PM,
stephie said…
I'm assuming you mean when "Esteban #1" shows up. It is a bit over the top, but the whole thing is sort of ridiculous and melodramatic, and that seems to be the point in some sense, non?
At 4/06/2006 10:27 PM,
stephie said…
Yes, I think I know the song you're talking about. The coma one is Talk to Her. Y Tu Mama... is Alfonso Cuaron -- I love that movie. I'm using it in my discussion of threesomes(!) for a paper I'm working on.
Post a Comment
<< Home