ma vie en vert

Thursday, January 19, 2006

barf.

Yesterday, Broadsheet had a post about a hilarious review of Jamie Foxx's new album, Unpredictable, by Slate music critic Jody Rosen. Here's a bit from "The Sexiest Sex Machine":
Ladies, Jamie Foxx is going to make you feel like you never felt before. He is going to work you over. He'll meet you in the bathroom of the club for a freaky episode. He will kiss you right below the navel, then rub you with oil on your ear. There'll be puddles in the bed by the time Foxx gets through with you. Girl, the rain is coming.

I know all this because Foxx says so -- nearly verbatim -- on his new album, Unpredictable, which descended upon record stores just before Christmas in a vaporous cloud of Spanish fly.

More goodness:
Foxx's erotica nearly always degrades into autoerotica. In "Storm (Forecass)," an extended conceit about cunnilingus, he spends the whole song detailing his look ("Got nothing but my T-shirt and boxers on") and technique ("It's cloudy skies, right there between your thighs/ I'm pluckin' for scattered showers, for about an hour"), and you can't help but wonder if Foxx really even wants a partner: Give this guy a ceiling mirror and a vat of baby lotion and he'll be set for the night. The "ladies" deserve someone better.

I think Jamie Foxx should stick to stand-up comedy and acting. It seems that he deserved the Oscar for his portrayal of Ray Charles, from what I saw of Ray, which wasn't much. While Foxx was good, the film started off so bad, I could hardly get through 20 minutes of it. Right from the opening scene, it smacks the audience over the head with 'here's the lesson that little Ray received from his mother' (typical of Hollywood biopics to show us the life lesson learned in childhood), the mother looking right in the camera, telling the audience EXACTLY what the key to Ray's success will be, as long as he takes his saintly mother's wisdom to heart. And so, we must try to make our pea-sized brains keep this in mind, throughout the WHOLE film (but surely there will be some reminders of this lesson throughout).

6 Comments:

  • At 1/19/2006 11:25 PM, Blogger emily said…

    hmmmm... maybe we should all pitch in and buy andrew the new jamie foxx album so he can prepare to make good on what he's claimed he'll do (to a woman!) if the steelers win the superbowl...

     
  • At 1/19/2006 11:52 PM, Blogger stephie said…

    Indeed! Andrew definitely needs to spend some time thinking about what "pluckin' for scattered showers" means.

    Actually, I'm not really sure I know what it means... No, I think I do. It's just so poetic and deep, that Jamie Foxx lost me there for a second.

     
  • At 1/20/2006 2:50 PM, Blogger tmb said…

    i love jamie foxx.

     
  • At 1/20/2006 6:12 PM, Blogger stephie said…

    Well then you must have his new album, and we must listen to it during half time on Sunday, and we can all learn from the Foxx's sexy sex machine techniques!

     
  • At 1/20/2006 6:37 PM, Blogger tmb said…

    oh.my.god.

    i would love to have it. i'm so illegally downloading something of his (theoretically speaking of course) and we can have a oral pleasures class around 4:30 on sunday.

    again, i say this is theory and not practice in relation to me illegally downloading. if i acquire this, i will be either borrowing from a friend or have purchased from iTunes and then get my ass kicked by my friends for actually buying such nonsense.

    I love this review though!

     
  • At 1/20/2006 9:29 PM, Blogger stephie said…

    I have it! you can borrow it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home