car fetishists?
I just realized that me and my frightenedmonkey husband both have images of cars on our blogs. Curious. Michael's truck is obviously ironic (the 'Sierra Club Sucks' bumpersticker kills me), but my little mini is just supposed to be cute. Both are autos that we spotted in our travels. We ended up behind the pickup somewhere around Eureka(!), CA, on a road trip to my uncle's wedding in Nevada; the mini was spotted in Paris. In the mini's back seat we noticed a magazine with Bush on the cover (this was in September '02, when the buildup to the Iraq invasion was just getting started). Apparently we decided that seeing a French magazine with Bush on the cover in the back of a mini in Paris was fracking hilarious.

I can't read the text -- "For a Few Votes," or something like that. We also saw some Le Monde headlines that read, "Bush: Le Grande Menace."
Anyway, I'm sort of wondering what the car thing is about. I did pick Michael's blog's image for him, so I guess this is about my car fetish, not his. Confession: I dig '65 Corvette Stingrays (preferably silver), 70s Muscle Mustangs (must be black or silver), 50s Porsche Speedsters (a nice olive green, perhaps, or silver with red interior), and the BMW M Coupe that came out a few years ago. I love them. Here's one.
I have no point. Just trying to figure out what's up with me and cars, especially as I am an environmentalist, and a girl. But it's not about driving, because I don't even really like driving (unless it's traveling along Highway 1) -- it makes me feel grumpy and like I'm part of the problem. But it's quite odd that I've only owned Jettas -- three Jettas! I find them aesthetically pleasing -- like Apple products, and Le Creuset cookware. Maybe the car thing just has to do with an appreciation for functional art, or something like that.

I can't read the text -- "For a Few Votes," or something like that. We also saw some Le Monde headlines that read, "Bush: Le Grande Menace."
Anyway, I'm sort of wondering what the car thing is about. I did pick Michael's blog's image for him, so I guess this is about my car fetish, not his. Confession: I dig '65 Corvette Stingrays (preferably silver), 70s Muscle Mustangs (must be black or silver), 50s Porsche Speedsters (a nice olive green, perhaps, or silver with red interior), and the BMW M Coupe that came out a few years ago. I love them. Here's one.
I have no point. Just trying to figure out what's up with me and cars, especially as I am an environmentalist, and a girl. But it's not about driving, because I don't even really like driving (unless it's traveling along Highway 1) -- it makes me feel grumpy and like I'm part of the problem. But it's quite odd that I've only owned Jettas -- three Jettas! I find them aesthetically pleasing -- like Apple products, and Le Creuset cookware. Maybe the car thing just has to do with an appreciation for functional art, or something like that.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home